The Indian SUV market is in full bloom due to high demands. The current Indian market offers a slew of great SUV models to choose from across various segments and price brackets. Here are the top 5 SUVs that you should look into before settling down for your new SUV.
1. Hyundai Creta The Hyundai Creta is an amazing success and a game changer for the South Korean auto major in India. The Creta is a bold, stylish and capable compact SUV that is one of the highest selling SUVs in India. The Creta is available in both petrol and diesel versions. The petrol version packs in a 1.6L VTVT engine that generates 121 bhp of power and 155 Nm of torque mated to a 6 speed manual transmission. The diesel version gets a 1.4L and a 1.6L unit choice that offers 89 bhp/220 Nm and 126 bhp/155 Nm, respectively. The Hyundai Creta has a starting price range of Rs 9.15 lakhs (ex-showroom).
2. Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza If you are more for a subcompact SUV model, then the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza is simply the best choice. The Vitara Brezza is a fascinating sub-4 meter SUV model and is the bestselling model in its segment. As the same suggests, the Vitara Brezza is based on the global Suzuki Vitara SUV’s styling, but is a fully India-made and India-developed model. The little SUV offers great alluring look and a offers perfect mix of a SUV and small car along with proper SUV appeal. Currently, the Brezza is available equipped with a single 1.3L turbocharged diesel engine delivering 89 bhp, while a petrol version is on the way. A 5 speed manual transmission is paired to the diesel motor. The Viatara Brezza has a starting range of Rs. 7.38 lakhs (ex-showroom).
3. Renault Duster The Renault Duster has been around in the Indian market for quite some time and is the first model that made the compact SUV segment so popular and is still a very successful model. The Duster offers proper SUV looks and functionality. The Duster is offered in India in both petrol and diesel versions. It gets powered by a 1.5L diesel and a 1.6L petrol engine. The diesel is offered in states of tune – 84 bhp/200 Nm and 108 bhp/240 Nm, while the petrol offers 102 bhp and 145 Nm. There’s a choice of a 5 speed manual and 6 speed manual transmission gearboxes. The Duster’s price range starts at Rs. 8.46 lakhs.
4. Ford EcoSport The Ford EcoSport is the pioneering subcompact SUV model in India and ruled the segment before the arrival of the Maruti Vitara Brezza. The EcoSport’s trendy yet muscular looks, compact size, great features and pricing made it super popular. The EcoSport’s comprehensive facelift model will soon launch in India. The ongoing EcoSport model has three engine options - the 1.0L EcoBoost petrol, the 1.5L petrol and the 1.5L turbocharged diesel engines. The diesel engine offers 99 bhp and 205 Nm and is mated to a 5 speed manual transmission. The 1.5L petrol offers 110 bhp and comes with the transmission options of a 5 speed manual and 6 speed automatic gearbox. The EcoBoost petrol offers 124 bhp and 170 Nm and is paired to a 5 speed manual transmission. The EcoSport has a starting price of Rs. 7.3 lakhs (ex-showroom).
5. Jeep Compass Jeep’s first India made product, the new Compass has everything great that Jeep SUVs are famous for. It has Grand Cherokee inspired styling, best in class safety equipments and great off-roading capability. The Compass diesel packs in a 2.0L MultiJet engine delivering 173 PS and 350 Nm equipped with a 6 speed manual transmission, while the petrol avatar gets a 1.4L MultiAir turbocharged engine offering 162 PS and 250 Nm and gets paired to a 7 speed automatic or a 6 speed manual transmission options. The Compass’ price range starts from Rs. 15.18 lakhs (ex-showroom).
Lakshya loves to talk about cars and, therefore, he’s mostly in the front of the camera doing the talking. He’s usually blunt in his opinion -- good or bad, and backs it up with logic. Lakshya is a senior member of V3Cars’ editorial team.